Then, you grab a block of dried ice and hope that no one will notice you just threw anything together for your annual Halloween party. I was guilty of this for years before I realized I could actually pair treats like spider infested caramel popcorn, spaghetti with eyeballs and ghost cake pops together with wine. I came to the conclusion that if I was going to go all out on planning the perfect costume, decorations and party favors, I might as well make it an evening to remember by pouring a glass of deliciously paired vino.
My dishes, including an assortment of Halloween candies, are taken to the next level by incorporating just the right wine. And although finding the perfect wine can be a bit tricky, experimenting is the fun part!
A few Halloween inspired pairings you should try:
- Reese’s Peanut Buttercups with Amontillado Sherry or Vintage Port
- Twix with Cabernet Sauvignon or Syrah
- Kit Kat with Merlot or Malbec
- Caramel Popcorn Spider Balls with Oregon Riesling or demi-sec Champagne
- Candy Corn with a sweet Riesling, Tawny Port or Ice Wine
- Spaghetti and Eyeballs with Zinfandel or Nero d’ Avola
- Garlic Sticks and Marinara Sauce with Barbera or Dolcetto
- Caramel Apple with Riesling or Amontillado Sherry
- Pumpkin Pancakes with sweet Riesling or Viognier